Eggplant Steamed Buns
Bao ingredients: yields 14
360g all-purpose flour
20g skim milk power
4g baking powder
5g instant dry yeast
35g white sugar
40ml vegetable oil and more for greasing dough
200g warm water
14 squares of baking paper (10cm x 10cm)
1. Flour, milk powder, baking powder, yeast & sugar in a large bowl.
2. Separately mix veg oil and warm water
3. Mix wet into dry and knead.
4. Rest until doubled
5. Punch down dough, dust surface and roll to 1cm thick, grease lightly with veg oil.
6. Cut rounds 8cm diameter.
7. Fold rounds in half and flatten with rolling pin slightly.
8. Place in steamer on paper and let prove for 30 minutes.
9. Steam for 10-12 mins then turn off heat and let rest for 5 minutes before removing.
1 tablespoon veg oil
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
2 large eggplant, diced small
1 inch thick slice of fresh ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 pieces of star anise, whole
3 cloves, whole
1 bay leaf, whole
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon of rock sugar (you can substitute regular sugar)
3 Tablespoons hoisin
3 tablespoons mushroom XO (optional, available at Coles Asian section)
Salt, to taste
- In a large frypan, sautee ginger and garlic in veg and sesame oils for 2 minutes.
- Add hoisin, Shaoxing wine, rice vinegar, star anise, cloves, bay leaf, soy sauces and sugar, bring to a low simmer.
- Add raw eggplant and mix around letting the juices soak in and start to get sticky. This will take around 5-8 minutes.
- Once at the desired level of stickiness (personal preference) take off the heat and add the mushroom XO for that extra wow factor. To make XO at home is a long process and takes quite a bit of technique, the big supermarkets have a great selection so I suggest you take advantage of it 😊
- Serve as a filling in a steam bao or dumpling, alternatively serve on rice with a fresh tomato, coriander and red onion salsa. I personally love to add a tablespoon or two of rice wine vinegar to my rice to give it a bit of extra flavour.