Lemongrass Syrup Cake
✨Lemongrass Syrup Cake ✨
Lemongrass is such a fragrant and dynamic flavour, and it is just perfect in this cake, give it a go ♥️
- 5 stalks of lemongrass, finely chopped, save 1 stalk for the syrup.
- 100 gms caster sugar (split into two bowls)
- 4 eggs
- 150 g butter, softened
- 125 g desiccated coconut
- 125 g plain flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar for syrup
- 3/4 cup water for syrup
1. Grease a 22cm spring-form pan and preheat the oven to 170 C.
3. In a food processor or blender, blitz the sugar and chopped lemongrass until the sugar is moist, fragrant and a light shade of green. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the eggs to the lemongrass mix and beat using a hand-mixer till combined. Add the butter and coconut and beat again. The mixture might appear grainy and curdled, this will get sorted out when you add the flour.
5. Add the flour and baking powder and fold gently to combine. The batter will be thick and grainy because of the coconut.
6. Tip into the prepared cake tin and spread the batter out evenly. Bake for 35 minutes, and check with a toothpick. If it comes out dry it’s done.
7. While the cakes baking, prepare the syrup by bringing the sugar, water and 1 stalk of chopped lemongrass to the boil. Once sugar has dissolved, simmer for a couple of minutes and then leave to steep, so as much of the fragrant lemongrass flavour will set in.
8. Once cake is cooked, poke holes with a fine skewer and slowly add the syrup, bit by bit so it fully absorbs. Enjoy immediately with creme fraiche or double cream! ☺️