Ricotta gnocchi with Crispy Free-Range Chicken
- 80g finely grated parmesan
- 230g bakers flour
- 450g drained ricotta cheese,
drained overnight to get rid of any excess water.
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 200g fresh parsley, flat or curly
- 100g fresh mint
- 50g fresh dill
- 50g capers
- 1 tspn anchovies
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- Sea salt to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 200ml olive oil or another soft tasting oil like grapeseed,
avoid extra virgin olive oil.
Crumbing station for Chicken
4 free range Mt Barker chicken thighs
1 packet panko bread-crumbs
1 cup milk
1 cup plain flour
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
200g sweet small cherry tomatoes
100ml Olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1tbspn balsamic vinegar
Handful fresh basil
- Bring a large stock-pot of salted water to the boil.
- Combine grated parmesan, ricotta, flour and nutmeg in a bowl, bring together with your hand and form a ball. Dust your benchtop with flour and split the dough into two pieces, forming two thin snakes.
- Cut into 1cm pillows and set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a food processor, place all of your salsa verde ingredients and whizz until smooth, adjust seasonings so that it is sharp and bright. Set aside.
- Cut each thigh into three pieces and prepare a crumbing station. First goes flour (with a light seasoning), second is egg wash (milk, egg and seasoning) breadcrumbs last. Keep one hand for wet and one for dry and crumb all of the chicken.
- Shallow fry the chicken until golden, you can finish in the oven on a low heat to cook through and keep warm while preparing the gnocchi.
- Blister cherry tomatoes in a frypan with oil and garlic, once softened and the skin is splitting slightly, take off the heat and throw in torn fresh basil. The slight heat will release the flavour from the basil. Set aside.
- In the boiling water, add your ricotta gnocchi pillows, cook for 2 minutes, or until they float to the top. Use a slotted spoon to scoop them out, place in a bowl.
- Add fresh salsa verde to the bowl, coating each pillow. Serve evenly between 4 bowls.
- Add cherry tomatoes evenly, then crumbed chicken on top.
- You can drizzle extra salsa verde on top of the chicken for a garnish, or simply fresh basil.