Japanese Savoury Pancake
- 3 free-range eggs + eggs for serving (1 each)
- 150g plain flour (use rice flour for gluten free option)
- 150g stock, cooled
- 45g raw potato, grated
- 1½ tsp crispy onions
- 3 tsp spring onions, chopped
- 1½ tsp fresh ginger, grated (or Japanese pickled ginger, diced)
- 375g cabbage, thinly shredded
- Oil for frying
Tonkatsu or bull dog sauce
1 crispy fried egg per pancake
Bonito fish flakes
Spring onion finely sliced
Optional protein additions:
Prawns, octopus, squid or thinly-sliced pork belly
- Mix together the egg and flour, then stir in the cooled stock, making sure that there are no lumps.
- Add the grated potato to the batter, then stir in the crispy onions, spring onions, ginger and cabbage, plus the seafood or pork belly, if using.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Spoon the mixture into the pan, and fry for five minutes each side. It can take longer to cook all the way through, so once you have a bit of colour on the outside, turn the heat down and cook until the middle is firm.
- Fry your egg in another pan while you're waiting, for best results, leave the yolk runny and the whites crispy, make oil your friend!
- To serve, criss cross kewpie mayo across the pancake and counter criss cross with tonkatsu , add egg, togarashi, spring onion and bonito flakes, then serve immediately.